I know that virtualize an hypervisor is so strange. But i needed to understood esx4 functionality. Here are steps to test it on virtual environment. Note that is only for demo or training purpose.
- Launch VMWare Server Home Page
- Create New Virtual Machine with following option
- Name: ESX4
- Guest Operating System : Linux operating system Other Linux (64-bit)
- CPU Count: 1
- Memory Size: 2048MB (minimum requirements)
- Hard Disk: 100GB
- Network Adapter: Bridged
- CD/DVD Drive: Use a Physical Drive
- Floppy Drive: Don’t Add a Floppy Drive
- USB Controller: Don’t Add a USB Controller
- Select Advanced tab on Configure VM and add following parameters (for further information about these parameters look at Running Nested VMs by Jim Mattson)
- Select Console tab and start virtual machine
- When prompting click the console screen to view the virtual machine
- From Devices menu, select CD/DVD Drive and select disconnect on Server
- From Devices menu, select CD/DVD Drive and select Connect to Disk Image File (.iso)…
- Select Yes when prompted and connect to the ESX installation ISO file.
- Click on virtual machine and press enter to start installation process.
- Follow any on-screen instruction to complete installation.
- Once installation is complete you are able to test your new VMWare ESX4.